Tuesday, November 23, 2010

No man is and island. A man is a contient.



No man is an Island

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as any manner of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

These words by John Donne from the 1624 Meditation 17.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I think of this, I think of when the world was together, Pangaea. It was together, when everyone was connected, but when it spread, you would lost connection with everyone you know. Like World War 2, when this happened, the world was separated by racism, and war. The war was with Poland and France. Imagine if Jew was in Poland? Then it would be a disaster! What if you had friends with a Jew or a German? It would be a traitors and hate each other because your parents, the army, are using propaganda on you, they would say that Jew hate you or Germans hate you or worse. This is what I think about the poem, showing that when you separate the whole, it will fall apart.

The video made by Jason Van Gendere, was not related but theres one meaning which stands out, "No man's an Island." When I remembered the word island, it reminded me of Insolated, meaning island. When it said no mans an island, it meant no mans alone, excluded from the big continent. "No man's an Island" is the what stands out during the video.

During this video, I took the one which was one of significant and true fact about the world. "Do we show empathy by donation?" "I stand by you today, I look away.". These quotes from the video are significant mostly the donation. Do you donate because you feel like it? Do you donate because you pity them? If you feel pity then act. I think that's the voice of the quote. I gave donate money but I never felt i did anything good because money does not make happiness. "I stand by you today, I look away." this quote means when you see a poor person, you ignore, he's not important, go live your life but full with ignorance like Jesus Colon. You ignore the weak (woman) and leave because of prejudice. Gendere has shown that mankind that they don look at the poor and ignore them, see them who didn't succeed in life.

I think this video is based on reality, what everyone has done, did not care for people who did not succeed education and life.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why I choose this picture?

I choose this picture because its small, alone deserted, and even though you are in a beautiful beach, you are alone, isolated.



No comments:

Post a Comment